Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bioshock

So I've been reading the forum angst about Bioshock. 2 main issues (thoughts follow): Widescreen support is fake & Game can only be "installed" on 2 PCs at once.

The forums are full of rants about the widescreen being a jury-rigged afterthought. I say why do all the people using widescreen think its their god-given right to a wider aspect ratio? In counter-strike source, the wider screen lets you see people who can't see you - so why should they do the same in Bioshock? Why let the people who have purchased a widescreen monitor get possibly gameplay-altering advantages? These people need to STFU.

The game also apparently installs "securom" with itself (even the STEAM version! say it isn't so!). This will track your installations with a master server, and only let you have 2 going on at once. If you uninstall, you get credit back apparently.

I don't know what planet 2k games plays on, but I'm still installing games once in a while that are almost 10 years old. I installed quake3 a while ago for a LAN party, and I had my cdkey so no problem, but if the game had required me to talk to a probably-defunct auth server, I would have been screwed.

Someone on the forums suggested a boycott (which I'm going to participate in). Another then suggested " "Boycotting such a fine game due to activation woes thought is not the right thing to do." I think boycotting is absolutely the RIGHT thing to do. The problem with an internet age with no morales is that the same people also have no principles. These whiney teenagers have no character to stand up for what they believe in. Resisting corporate control is an excellent thing to rebel against, not just so you can pirate stuff, but so your entertainment isn't under the constant scrutiny of corporate shills.

So, my wife will be happy I'm not buying it - she hates when I get new obsessions.

No comments: